Fiona is the editor of Plantpuree. With over two decades of experience in the wellness and fashion sectors, plus a degree in philosophy, she brings a unique perspective to her editorial role at Plantpuree. Whether it’s discussing ethical issues around veganism or pushing for eco-friendly fashion choices, her thoughtful and analytical approach ensures that readers are empowered with accessible, reliable information and knowledge they can trust. She delights in unearthing exciting facts and figures that surprise even the most seasoned experts!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Not all Bran Flake cereals are the same, and some are better than others when it comes to being vegan-friendly. In this post, we’ll look at the ingredient list of Morrisons Bran Flakes and compare it to other popular bran flakes cereal brands. We’ll also discuss the health benefits of eating bran flakes. So, are Morrisons Bran Flakes vegan? Here’s everything you need to know…
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliated; we may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. We only ever add brands & products we truly believe in. Thank you for supporting the brands who are making the world a better place!
Table of Contents
Are Morrisons Bran Flakes Vegan?
The answer is YES. Morrisons Bran Flakes are vegan and do not contain any ingredients derived from animals.
What Are Bran Flakes?
Bran flakes are a type of breakfast cereal made from wheat bran. This cereal is rich in minerals and fiber, and has a sweet, nutty taste.
Not all brands of bran flakes are the same. There are a large number of bran flake products on the market, from budget supermarket versions to more expensive, organic options. They have different ingredients, prices, and nutritional levels. Some brands use animal derivatives in their ingredients while others do not.
Morrisons Bran Flakes Ingredients
If your family is vegan, you’ll want to make sure that you are feeding them food that does not harm animals or the environment. The food should also support your family’s nutritional needs and help them grow normally.
This is especially true when it comes to cereal. Just because many brands of bran flakes are marketed as plant-based, vegetarian “healthy” or “organic” doesn’t mean they are nutritious and vegan.
|MAIN INGREDIENTS||VITAMINS AND MINERALS|
|Wholegrain Wheat Flakes (80%)|
Wheat Bran (20%)
Malted Barley Extract
|Niacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid (B5),|
Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B6,
Folic Acid, Vitamin B12
Morrisons Bran Flakes Nutrition
Bran flakes have a high nutritional value, providing a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are low in fat and calories and can be a healthy breakfast option for people trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
I’ve included additional brands to show you just how favorably Morrisons Bran Flakes compares to other Bran Flake cereals in terms of low sugar, low salt and high fiber content.
Morrisons Bran Flakes Nutritional Comparisons
Nutritional Values per 100g
|Aldi (Harvest Morn)||360kcal||2.7g||16g||64g||12g||12g||0.35|
|Marks & Spencers||360kcal||2.7g||16g||64g||12g||12g||0.35|
Morrisons Bran Flakes Vitamins & Minerals Comparisons
Vitamin and Mineral Values per 100g
|Marks and Spencers||1.3||1.6||18.0||1.6||230||2.9||6.9||16.0|
Are Morrisons Bran Flakes Healthy?
Yes, Morrisons Bran Flakes are a rich source of dietary fiber which is essential for a healthy diet. (3) The NHS and FDA recommend at least 30g a day and a serving of Morrisons Bran Flakes provides close to 5g – around 16% of the recommended daily amount. (4,5)
In addition, Morrisons matches the requirements of a healthy wheat bran cereal, which according to Berkley School of Health should contain at least 5 grams of fiber and less than 8 grams of sugar per serving. (6)
Benefits of Morrisons Bran Flakes
- Normalises bowel movements – Bran is a good source of dietary fiber which helps to keep our digestive system regular by softening stools and adding bulk which aids in their passage through the intestines. (7)
- Helps maintain gut health – bran helps to feed the good bacteria in the intestine. Good gut health aids digestion and promotes a healthy immune system. (8,9,10)
- Improves heart health – Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and lowers cholesterol – Bran is rich in soluble fiber which has been shown to lower ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol levels in the blood, by binding to it and preventing its absorption into the bloodstream. (11)
- Helps maintain a healthy weight – studies indicate that fiber can help you maintain and even lose weight because it helps to reduce appetite and calorie intake (12)
- Helps you to live longer – studies suggest an increase in life span associated with an increase in cereal fiber (13,14)
- Reduce the risk of some cancers – studies indicate that wheat bran may benefit some cancers, particularly bowel and colon cancer. (15)
- Rich in micronutrients – wheat is rich in a variety of B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin, and vitamin B6. These important nutrients help to increase energy levels, focus, and overall strength. Additionally, wheat provides magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and iron. (16)
Morrisons Bran Flakes are a healthy vegan breakfast cereal option, providing a good source of dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are low in fat and calories and can be a healthy breakfast option for people trying to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. They also have many health benefits including normalizing bowel movements, maintaining gut health, improving heart health, and reducing the risk of some cancers. If you are looking for a healthy vegan breakfast cereal option, Morrisons Bran Flakes are a great choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, Morrisons Bran Flakes contain wheat and are unsuitable if you are following a gluten-free diet. For a vegan, gluten-free version try Tesco Free From Branflakes.
Wheat bran is the unprocessed outer layer of a wheat grain and is one ingredient within Bran Flakes. Other ingredients in Bran Flakes include wheat flakes and sugar.