Fiona is the editor of Plantpuree, a website that celebrates vegan living. With over 20 years in diet & fitness, fashion, and beauty, she brings a wealth of knowledge and a unique perspective to her work and writing on veganism.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliated; we may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. We only ever add brands & products we truly believe in. Thank you for supporting the brands who are making the world a better place!
Shredded Wheat is a wholegrain cereal which means it contains the entire wheat grain including bran and all the associated nutrients. With an impressive 12.2g per 100g of fiber and just one ingredient, it’s no wonder that shredded wheat is often heralded as a health food. (1) The fact that it has no added sugar and salt also makes it a rarity amongst its competitors. But is Shredded Wheat Cereal Vegan? Keep reading to find out….
Table of Contents
Is Shredded Wheat Cereal Vegan?
The answer is YES, Shredded Wheat Cereal is vegan. Unlike a lot of mainstream breakfast cereals that are loaded with sugar and fortified vitamins, shredded wheat is a whole-grain cereal that is made from 100% wheat and is wholly plant-based.
Health Benefits of Shredded Wheat Cereal
Shredded Wheat is a healthy vegan cereal with many nutritional benefits:
- High in Fiber –The NHS and FDA recommend at least 30g of fiber a day and a serving of Shredded Wheat provides a whopping 41% of the recommended daily amount. (2,3)
- Normalises bowel movements – Bran is a good source of dietary fiber which helps to keep our digestive system regular by softening stools and adding bulk which aids in their passage through the intestines. (4)
- Helps maintain gut health – bran helps to feed the good bacteria in the intestine. Good gut health aids digestion and promotes a healthy immune system. (5,6,7)
- Improves heart health – Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and lowers cholesterol – Bran is rich in soluble fiber which has been shown to lower ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol levels in the blood, by binding to it and preventing its absorption into the bloodstream. (8)
- Helps maintain a healthy weight – studies indicate that fiber can help you maintain and even lose weight because it helps to reduce appetite and calorie intake. (9)
- Helps you to live longer – studies suggest an increase in life span associated with an increase in cereal fiber. (10,11)
- Reduce the risk of some cancers – studies indicate that wheat bran may benefit some cancers, particularly bowel and colon cancer. (12)
- Rich in micronutrients – wheat is rich in a variety of B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin, and vitamin B6. These important nutrients help to increase energy levels, focus, and overall strength. Additionally, wheat provides magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and iron. (13)
- Low in Sugar – With zero sugar, Shredded Wheat easily meets the requirements of a ‘good’ cereal, which according to Berkley School of Health should contain less than 8 grams of sugar per serving. (14)
Shredded Wheat Cereal Ingredients
In the UK and Australia Shredded Wheat uses just one ingredient -Whole Grain Wheat (100%). While in the USA, BHA is added which is a preservative. (15) However, the US version is still vegan.
Shredded Wheat Cereal Nutrition
Shredded Wheat Cereal Calories per Serving – 162kcal (16)
|Typical Values||Per 100g||Per 45g Serving|
Of which saturates
Of which sugars
Frequently Asked Questions
No, Frosted Wheats are not vegan because one of the listed ingredients is beef gelatin. Vegans should avoid this cereal. (17)
Yes, oatmeal is vegan. Oats are a plant and as long as they are not processed with any animal products, they are safe for vegans to eat.